Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Octoberfest: Day 8 "Great Expectations"

It's normal to have expectations. You get excited by something, you enjoy it and you want more of it. Then you start expecting it to be good every time. Kind of like a meat and potato burrito from Taco John's. But I'm here to forewarn you about having expectations. It's not good. It's better to set the bar low and then be pleasantly surprised when something is better than you were thinking it would be. That something, of course is my blog. I promised you guys exciting stuff this week for Octoberfest and I intend to make good on that promise. It's just your definition of exciting might be a little different than mine. Due to the unfortunate Marathon Monday I had to begin my week, it wasn't possible for me to do an activity for Octoberfest after work. So I had to start my day off with an activity of sorts - I took a different route to work. Now if you're anything like me, you're always rushing to get to work. That sounds terrible, don't be like me LOL. The problem is that I'm not a morning person, so I get up with just enough time to get ready and just enough time to get to work. I was very skeptical about the new route to work. Instead of going down 235 where the traffic moves fast, I chose to drive down Hickman where cars are slower and there are traffic lights. After the initial anxiety over getting to work on time wore off, I actually enjoyed the different scenery. One of the things I love about October (besides the obvious birthday duh!), is that fall produces some of the most beautifully colored leaves. I drove down Hickman winding down around Broadlawns, the sun was coming over the trees and it really made those leaves look like a firestorm of oranges and reds. The extremely surprising thing about the new route is that not only did I make it to work on time but I was actually early! Ah-mazing! I never would have guessed that route was just as quick as taking the freeway.

Great Expectations (not read)

Taking a different route can give you a perspective you wouldn't normally experience by going the same way every day. It opens your eyes to a view that can be new and wonderful and unexpected. I, of course, live my life by taking the road less traveled often. And quite literally today it beat my expectations.

One more thing before I let you guys go. I told my friend (and personal trainer) Abe about my blog which he started reading. And by reading I mean that he's probably looking at the pictures only and scanning the rest. But because he's been reading my blog, he noticed that I shockingly left him out of the blog post from Friday night. And I'm in trouble. He used very hateful language with me (he actually said the words, "I hate you for not including me.") so I promised him that I would make it right by issuing a revised update to Friday's post. So here goes, yes I went to sushi with Abe Friday night. His company was very enjoyable except for when he told me how he loves long walks on the beach (weird), he craves drama in his life and he despises football. Call me crazy but my expectation (here I go again with the expectation) would be that guys love football. Then again Abe is... one of a kind. So he told me I was a horrible date (because I was late) and then made me split the check. And I'm the horrible date? To top everything off, he ordered edamame and then said I should have known it looked like peas? Overall the company at dinner met none of my expectations but was interesting nontheless...

    

No comments:

Post a Comment