Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Octoberfest: Day 2 "Taste Buds"

Disclaimer: Panera Bread on University Ave. was not harmed during the making of today's Octoberfest activity. I admit, I'm not a good cook. Wait, I wouldn't even call myself a cook. If I'm being really honest, I can't cook to save my life. I'm a follow-the-directions-on-the-box-and-then-not-quite-getting-it-right type of cook. My mom says to me on a regular basis, "Shawnna, you make me so nervous with that utensil, do you want me to do it?" And I say, "Mom, I know how to use a spoon. I'm not without use of my full limbs, I'm just left-handed." We Southpaws are sooo discriminated against :) She has every right to be concerned. I AM that person who has a grease fire going on one burner of the stove while the water is running over the edge of the pan and flour is flinging through the air like confetti. That's me. Cooking challenged. So tonight's Octoberfest activity was perfect - a cooking demonstration at Panera Bread on University Ave. Even better news is that Panera wouldn't let me near a stove OR flour; I signed a waiver.

Taste Buds (not cooks)

So I convinced my good friend and resident cooking expert Stacey to accompany me on tonight's adventure. Much to my surprise...and everybody else's safety...I wouldn't actually be cooking, well anything. Emphasis on the word DEM-ON-STRATION. Doh! Well this is good, because he's still teaching us how to cook something and his focus is on sandwiches. I mean I couldn't possibly screw up a sandwich right? Don't answer that. So we go through an homage to bread, we break bread with the people at our table, they show us how to make some of Panera's most popular sandwiches, everyone's having a great time, they're giving us free samples and the best part about tonight is that it was all FREE! So while I had every intention of telling you all how I did with cooking, the truth is that I just observed while stuffing my face with some delicious sandwiches I wouldn't normally have tried. And I didn't harm myself in the process. I may have pulled a hammy at the gym later, but that's an entirely different post. Turns out, there's a reason they tell you not to exercise immediately after eating.

FREE Demonstration (no cooking)

So the lesson for tonight is that I was expecting to practice my cooking but ended up learning about new sandwiches that I will definitely try again at Panera. If you're like me, I get in ruts, especially with food. I blame it on my lack of cooking skills but even when I go out to eat, I rarely order anything different. It's safe to pick the same foods and/or get in the same ruts. But sometimes when you change up the routine and try something unexpected and new, the results can be pleasantly surprising. Who needs cooking anyway? Octoberfest Day 2 - winning!

No comments:

Post a Comment