Friday, October 12, 2012

Octoberfest: Day 12 "Betty Focker"

The professionals (not bad)
Betty Crocker, I am not. I'm more like a Betty Focker when it comes to baking. Always trying to please Robert DeNiro but never quite measuring up. If you haven't seen Meet the Parents and don't know who the Fockers are, you need more help than this blog can provide. Last year I brought birthday treats to work six months after my actual birthday. True story. So this year, I knew that Octoberfest would hold me to getting my birthday treats delivered somewhat on time, albeit a little early. I know that scotcheroos (mmmm...scotcheroos) are always a hit but for the purpose of fulfilling my "new activity each day" promise to Octoberfest, I decided to try a new recipe. Here's the thing about recipes. When people tell you that a recipe calls for minimal ingredients, they are almost always lying. I know normal people just have a kitchen stocked full of items for baking like vanilla, baking soda or powder (not quite sure of the difference), an assortment of nuts, and 85 different kinds of sugar. Betty Focker does not. Betty Focker has a vanilla candle and a block of sugar that is so hard it should probably be in a horse barn somewhere. So I chose an easy recipe: chocolate peanut butter brownie cups. The best part was it really only called for four ingredients: brownie mix, peanut butter, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Miraculously I had two of the four ingredients already so I was in business. I read the first part of the recipe which says "normally I make my brownies from scratch," yeah I'm going to gloss right over that. I don't make anything from scratch unless it's paper. For the most part the recipe was pretty simple. You just threw everything together in a bowl, mix it up, spoon into cupcake papers and bake. So far so good. The problem is that I always underestimate on time. Literally with everything. So while the box says 13-15 minutes to bake, I think "oh this should only take like 9 minutes right?" More like 25 minutes. And that's one pan's worth. And I doubled the recipe. Uggggg!!! See this is why baking is not my forte. I think it has something to do with my patience. Or lack of patience I should say. So the baking part felt like it literally took forever. Once they were baked, you tap the spoon on the center to make a little scoop, drizzle some melted peanut butter sprinkled some chips and voila! They were done! Dare I say the recipe was easy?? The true test would obviously be when people tasted them but the actual baking process went smoothly! How about that?! Then I realized I left the oven on an hour after I was done baking and Betty Focker was back. Hey, at least it wasn't like the last time I accidentally left the oven on....for an entire day...when I wasn't home... Good thing I made myself sign that waiver before I started tonight.

Mine (not perfect)
So baking isn't my thing. I'm admitting that. And I'm ok with it. But this could hinder my dating process given the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I'm guessing that's NOT through some bout with food poisoning either. Cuh-rap. I hope whatever guy I end up with likes easy mac and scotcheroos because aside from the recipe I just completed, those are my two specialties. And maybe scrambled eggs on a good day. Oh shoot, I'm forgetting about homemade pizza. I am a MASTER of that. Anyway, you get the idea...time to hang up the wrinkled and torn apron, Betty Focker is done baking for the day.

UPDATE: The birthday treats were a hit. I'm still not giving up my day job.

UPDATE #2: I was feeling pretty good about my birthday treats until my coworker decided to show me up and trump my treats with alcohol. We share the same birthday and he chose to undercut my attempt at winning. Alcohol vs. chocolate treats? No brainer. That jerk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment