Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Octoberfest Day 21: "Happy Little Trees"

Not Bob Ross
I should have been thinking more clearly. After partying for my mom and dad's anniversary well past 4 am, I should have tried something new when it comes to Octoberfest: like sleep for 15 hours or something. But noooooo, I had to choose another activity on a day when I was dead tired. But never fear, I managed to create a masterpiece on limited sleep and a lazy, dehydrated state of well being. Have you heard of this new concept where you mix painting with socializing? Me neither! But I heart the idea! There have been a couple of these places pop up in Des Moines lately. We took advantage of a Groupon through the Social Canvas in Waukee. Plus we got a free drink. Umm how can I say no to that? Even when I want nothing to do with anything alcoholic. You guys are counting on me for a genuine, authentic experience. And I'm happy to sacrifice, I really am. The really fantastic thing I want to stress here is that ANYone can do this kind of class. I don't care if you think you're so artistically challenged you can't even write your own name. I promise you, you can do this. They even provide all of the materials. After we got checked in, handed me my drink ticket (bonus!), I got my paint on my palette, threw on a smock and I was ready to Bob Ross this place. Plus I got to have a glass of Moscato wine...mmm...mmmm...mmm...So she walked us through each of the steps, instructed us how to create the right color, what brush to use, etc. I can't say this enough, it was super simple I'm not kidding, anyone can do this. The only challenge would be if a person were to take a drink out of the water cup (for the brushes) and put the used brushes in the glass of wine. Apparently that happened to the Friday night class. Obviously, the wine wasn't the highest priority to that person. Duh. The really interesting thing about this class is that everyone's painting ends up looking different. Your interpretation of the instructor's directions means your canvas is unique to everyone else's. I was amazed that I was able to create such a wonderful masterpiece given I was so tired. I'm sure that the wine helped LOL. If you find yourself looking for an activity to do with a group of girls or for a birthday party, etc., I highly recommend looking up the Social Canvas. They do a bunch of different paintings so you can try as many as you'd like! Plus, they are just getting their business going and I think people should support such a creative idea. Kinda like when I started this uber crazy blog - which by the way is now up to over 1,300 page views! I jumped up 100 page views in one day! Kudos to everyone for checking it out, let's keep this baby going!

No comments:

Post a Comment