Monday, October 15, 2012

Octoberfest: Day 15 "A Day in Paris"

La Mie (I'm not looking)
That title got you all to read this, didn't it? Yes, today I got a taste of Paris...by not ever leaving Des Moines. I'm embarassed to admit the little gem I visited today has been near my neighborhood all this time and I have not discovered it until now: La Mie. Several of you are no doubt nodding in disbelief over why I haven't been there yet. Honestly I don't know because the rumors are true: what a great little place to eat. You walk in and just the smell alone reminds you of Paris. Except there aren't any somewhat nice French people unwilling to understand broken French spoken by Americans who don't really know their language. Just a quick sidenote: did you know that in France, you can order a hamburger steak and they'll serve it to you pretty much raw unless you indicate otherwise? Still not over that experience in college. But rest assured, I didn't order a hamburger steak today and I'm fairly certain they would have cooked it to at least medium well - food safety laws and all. So they have pastries galore, and a pretty extensive breakfast and lunch menu. I opted for a spinach and bacon omelette after my friend Stacy told me they had good bacon. She was right. But did I expect anything less? I mean Iowa has great bacon. The omelette was pretty good - they got a little carried away with the spinach but all in all it was delicious. And the pastries were out of this world good. I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with my friend and her son. Chalk up another one in the win column for Octoberfest. The rest of my day was pretty low-key, catching up on things after so much excitement from the weekend: the great birthday gift that just keeps on giving and the failed sunrise attempt. Yes, I was exhausted. Sorry for the quick post, I wanted to get this up so there was no delay. But as you may have guessed, I'm still catching up on sleep so I'm off to get some zzz's! Until tomorrow - keep on reading! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment