Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Octoberfest Day 23: "Front Wedgie"



Front Wedgie
Neither myself nor Carrie will be climber of the month anytime soon. But we did give an outstanding effort tonight at Climb Iowa. An outstanding effort at trying to get kicked out. Let me back up. For starters, the guy giving us orientation was like the Ben Stein of rock climbing. Think the Dry Eyes commercial. He was about as lively as a tree. He told us we had to fill out the waiver first and I said "oh is that so if I die, I won't try and sue you" And he said "no." Wow. Ok umm that was a joke buddy. It would be hard for me to sue you if I were dead...oh never mind. Geez, tough crowd. He hands us our shoes and tells us they need to be pretty tight. We ask if we need socks and he says "most people don't." So Carrie says to me "you want a genuine experience right?" And then whispered, "I hope they sanitize these." Next step was to get our harness put on. Let me tell you a little something about the harnesses, they aren't comfortable. Carrie made the mistake of jumping ahead in his orientation by asking about the walls and he said "we're going to get to that" Ok point taken. Man this guy is not effing around. I'm sure that the fact that we weren't taking anything he said seriously didn't help. To make matters worse, in the middle of his explanation of the walls, I exclaimed, "oh god, owww I have a front wedgie" he didn't laugh or look impressed. The thing we were both curious about was that if this hurts for a girl, we can't imagine how uncomfortable these things are for the guys. So he takes us to the wall to try out, shows us how to do everything and then says to try it. I made it up the wall a little bit and then you're supposed to just fall back and let the rope rappel you down. Umm, that requires trusting the rope to hold you and when you're high up, that's scary to do. The guy keeps explaining to us the difference in the different walls when we notice a kid (probably age 7) with a huge backpack slung over his shoulder. And Carrie asks the guy if that's his chalk bag. They give you chalk to help your hands when they get sweaty. Or in our case to just put on our hands to look more official. Carrie said she's going to ask for a designer chalk bag for Christmas. Jesus, these little kids are going to smoke us on these walls. So we attempted a wall that the guy said was somewhat easy. Umm, that's a joke. It wasn't easy at all. I made it up a few feet and then had to let the rope carry me to the floor. And by carry I mean I fell and almost landed on a girl sitting on the floor watching her boyfriend scale the walls sans rope. Why would you sit on the floor when people are flying off these walls? So Carrie says she has to use the bathroom (which I'm thinking would be difficult with the harness on) and then tells me she didn't really have to go, she just wanted the guy to be done with orientation Haha. We were finally on our own to tackle these walls. Tried finding the areas that were the easiest to climb. The first one we tried was a little easier than what the guy was showing us but it was still hard. I made it about a third of the way up and then remembered my chalk bag. LOL it doesn't help by the way. And when you're on a rock climbing wall laughing hysterically things get even more difficult. Carrie was down at the bottom laughing and taking pictures of me. So I came down and we decided to try the easiest wall of all. Except a kid was rushing over to it. "Want me to shoulder check him and tell him to get off?" Carrie asked me. "Well it is Ladies' Night, don't they know they should be letting us do this?" I said. "Would you EVER want to do this in real life, like on a real wall?" Carrie said. "Umm negative. This is hard enough." So the little climbers were finally off the easy wall and we set out to attempt it. Mission accomplished! As I scaled the wall in a pretty quick fashion, Carrie was texting our friends "apparently Shawnna's a natural." I need to work on my landing however because I bounced into the side wall as I came down, of course started laughing hysterically A-gain and fell on the floor (see exhibit A picture as proof). Carrie goes, "my favorite part was when you ran into the wall. Now let me attempt this." So she climbs up gets almost all the way to the top and then stops saying "I'm seeing stars." Omg. LOL Yes you better come back down. Carrie had given blood that day so perhaps rock climbing wasn't the greatest idea ever. Her claim to fame is being the first person to pass out mid-climb and pull a Weekend at Bernies. Admittedly we were starting to get tired of climbing, or rather my hands were. We tried a couple of the hard climbs again and after literally flying off the wall back down and almost hitting that girl again (seriously she's still sitting in harms way!), I said, "ok I'm pretty much done." Now there is a group of people doing planks in a circle, not sure why. We thought it would be hilarious if Carrie came down off the wall landing in the middle of their circle, "well hello everyone." Bahahaha. We conquered the easy wall again two more times because it made us feel like official climbers and called it good. My fingers were shaking and my hands couldn't do another climb. It was probably time for us to go anyway, we are not professional climbers which obviously showed. And I think people were getting tired of us complaining about a front wedgie. You try it and you'll see what I mean. Who's got two thumbs, conquered the easy wall at Climb Iowa and no longer has a front wedgie? This girl.
 
Old Pro
I fell
 
Stopping for chalk

 
Baller Status
 
Look at Carrie go!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment