Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Octoberfest Day 22: "$25 Grilled Cheese Sammich"

Sometimes in life it really helps to know people and have connections. Like when I need an extra quarter for the vending machine. Or in the case of today's Octoberfest activity: like when we want to eat at the Embassy Club overlooking the downtown area. AMAZEBALLS! The Embassy Club (or Des Moines Club) is a verrry fancy restaurant on like the 34th floor of the Ruan building in downtown Des Moines. It offers really fantastic views of the city from all four angles. Strolling into this place was seriously a scene out of Pretty Woman, we were decidedly out of place but yet milking it for all it's worth. By the way, I should mention I've actually never seen Pretty Woman, I'm just familiar with the basic premise. Add theatrically challenged to my list of faults. So we walk in and the place is deserted, guess we are the only two people choosing to eat at 8:00 pm. The host greeted us with a thick, heavy accent and oozing ritzy professionalism. I like it already. I felt important - a bit like royalty except minus the Prince and a topless photo scandal. So we had the run of the place. Which was awesome except we didn't really know how to behave, we just knew we should probably be uber proper. This ought to be interesting. Jill goes "umm excuse me Shawnna, do silence your cell phone please" LOL. The waiter (is he called a waiter at a fancy joint?) brings over our menus and we open them up to find meals starting in the $30 price range. And I don't even know what some of these menu items are. Gulp. Holy shizballs. What happened to the "casual" menu with things more reasonably priced? So we asked about that menu and then suddenly felt like we'd made a big mistake because the waiter hesitated for a long time and then begrudgingly said "yes, you can order from that menu, let me bring it back" Then they scurried around getting those menus and were probably cursing us the entire time. And Jill says to me, "this kind of thing always happens when I'm with you." What can I say? I'm blessed with the ability to turn any situation into a bonafide story of hilariousness. The waiter finally brings the menus back and we were relieved to see the numbers back down into the teens. I had researched the menu before I came and I had my heart set on the grilled cheese sammich - this thing came with havarti cheese, bacon and apple jelly, now doesn't that sound like both an amaze-fest AND a heart attack at the same time? OM. G. It was! It was probably one of the most delicious sandwiches...EVER. Certainly not part of my diet but oh well. I can get back on track tomorrow...or when this month is over. So by the time our drinks, sandwiches and soup got added to the bill it came to $25 per person...for a grilled cheese sandwich. Moment of silence while I digest that fact. Geesh. It's a good thing I don't do this often. I asked the guy if I could get change and he said "we don't actually carry cash here" Oh man, of course they don't. Geez Shawnna what were you thinking??!! I think it's time for me to go before I embarrass myself any further! Thank you Jill for getting us into a prestigious elite club - classic example of when it pays to have friends in high places! Literally! Tomorrow's activity involves altitude as well...of the climbing variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment