Thursday, November 1, 2012

Octoberfest Day 25: "Seal of Approval"

As you all have probably guessed by now, I love to write. So the activity for Day 25 was perfect for me and after having a bad day before, it made my heart feel good too. (Speaking of the bad day, going to bed and allowing myself to give the worries to 'ol Mr. Sandman really helped, NOTE TO SELF) A good friend of mine from college has created a group called Seal the Spirit and they supply hand-written cards to individuals who are especially deserving. The messages of hope and caring are assembled at various card writing parties and then delivered around the holiday time when people need support the most. What a wonderful idea! As a writer, I believe in the positive impact and power that words can have over others so it was an honor to participate in this activity for Octoberfest. A simple caveat, however. The card writing party actually took place on Sunday October 20 but since I already had activities lined up for that day, I decided to take a batch of cards and write in them for another day. So I was there for the card writing party in spirit (haha get it?!) and sat down to write my messages when I had no other activities planned. I'm a thinker folks, this head is not just a hat rack. Let me just take a moment to say that when I allow myself the time to serve others who are in need, it really warms my heart like no other activity. I think we get bogged down with our day-to-day activities and we take for granted the support systems we have in our lives. But when you stop to think there are people living in this world who HAVE NO support system, it can be heartbreaking. If one message that I'm writing in this very minute has the power to impact someone's day or someone's holiday season or someone's life, then it's absolutely worth it for me to set aside time to do it. "Leave the world better than the way you found it." It's my hope that by leaving genuinely positive and good impressions on others, then in some small way I have made the world a better place. If you'd like to participate in this very worthwhile group, check out their website or their Facebook page. As for me, I'm going to continue writing in whatever capacity I can because someday my words will help change the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment