Sunday, November 4, 2012

Octoberfest Day 28: "Just Like Old Times"

Sunday morning was another early day. I took my niece out to the Animal Rescue League so we could volunteer for an hour. She had been begging me to do that and it worked out for that day. We got out there before they opened so we could spend some time with the dogs. We took a couple of them out of their kennels so they could play around. The first dog, Gil (LOL, love that name) was a pitbull mix and looked like he could be part wiemaraner as well. We got him in the activity center, took off the leash and he started running around having a blast. And then proceeded to poop. Sarah looks at me and says, "that's your job, I'm not doing it." Ahh...the good ol'days of picking up poop. Umm, I don't miss those days. After Gil stretched his legs, we got another brindle colored pitbull mix named Rio and played with him. Both dogs had fantastic personalities and temperaments, I'm certain they will be adopted soon. At least I hope they are. After the ARL, we had planned to take a hike at the Ledges State Park. Talk about the good ol' days. We used to picnic there all the time when I was a kid. I have VERY fond memories of playing in the creeks, cars splashing us, climbing the trails and just having an absolute blast. We got up there by 10:30 so a hike and volunteering all before noon on a Sunday? Not bad. We walked up one trail and then came back down. Found another trail, climbed it and then decided we would try to ascend the trail up to the lookout point. It was quite a climb, I felt winded just walking up so I know we were getting really good exercise. Sarah started getting really tired and wanted to stop but we were already on our way up so we had to just keep pressing on until we made it. Once we were up to the top, then we started walking down and that's when she started getting really crabby (LOL, kids...) and inquiring when we would be to the car. Admittedly, I thought we were closer to the car than we were. You don't realize how far away you get as you're climbing so I understood her exasperation. I was thirsty and getting tired myself. We stopped along the way and got some really good pictures and just enjoyed the crisp October air. Hiking was very enjoyable and it's something that I need to do more of. I'm putting it on the list of an activity that is perfect exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. I'm making a mental note to keep coming back to the Ledges because who doesn't love to be reminded of their childhood?


One final note on Sunday - I discovered that there's a zoom function on my iPhone. Holy crap you'd think I just won the lottery. Folks, I've had my iPhone for a year and just now discovered the camera can zoom. Helluva deal. Maybe I've had my head out of the apps for too long now...



No comments:

Post a Comment